I’m a huge fan of meringues.This is a fabulous recipe that creates billowy, chewy, moreish meringues (and I know they’re moreish as I’m having to restrain myself from having another). I’ve just served mine with some whipped cream and icing sugar with a dash of vanilla plus some fruit, for health, obviously.
- 4 egg whites
- 200g caster sugar
- dash of vanilla extract
- Turn oven to 130 degrees fan (150 regular).
- Beat the egg whites until stiff with an electric mixer. Then, while the mixer is still going, pour in the sugar. Beat until glossy, thick and will form stiff peaks. Mix in the vanilla extract. If using a hand electric mixer this might take slightly longer but with my kitchenaid the whole process takes about ten minutes.
- Put spoonfuls on a baking tray with greaseproof paper stretched over (I stick mine down with a blob of the raw meringue in each corner) and bake in an oven for 1 hour 10 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, switch the oven off and allow the meringues to cool down in there.
- Beat the double cream (I used about 200ml). When thick mix in a little vanilla extract and a few teaspoons of icing sugar.